Persuasive essays are similar to argumentative essays, but take a more gentle approach to things. An argument essay calls on you to discuss the opposite viewpoint and argues against it, while a persuasive essay is written to persuade others to your perspective. You are advocating for your views with this essay, rather than trying to be an adversary to someone else’s opinions.
There are three critical components to every persuasive essay:
The introductory paragraph includes the hook that grabs the attention of readers, as well as the thesis/argument that your paper will present.
The body of the essay is the heart and soul of the piece. This part is between three and five paragraphs long. Each paragraph looks at a specific item to support the overall thesis.
The conclusion is the last paragraph. This paragraph sums up the critical points of the essay and connects them to the thesis. They are generally the final appeal to the audience for persuasive essays.
Understanding how to write a great persuasive essay is a skill that everyone should know. Not only will it help during college years, but it also helps in occupational fields, including entertainment, education, business, and law. Below are some ideas on the best persuasive essay topics to get you started:
- Students should get less homework
- Dogs are better pets than cats
- Everyone should grow their own vegetables
- Teenagers should take parenting classes
- Etiquette should be taught in schools
- School uniforms are unconstitutional
- Nuclear weapons are a great deterrent
- Bullies have no place in schools
- Students should be offered the chance to study abroad
- Older adults should be required to take yearly driving tests
- High schools should have entrance exams
- Teachers should be paid more
- There is no need for standardized testing
- There should be a military draft
- Americans should learn how to speak Spanish
- Immigrants should learn how to speak English
- Parents should teach their children about drugs at a young age
- Members of Congress should be subjected to term limits
- Marijuana should be legalized and taxed like alcohol or tobacco
- Everyone should have access to high-speed internet
- Puerto Rico should be declared a state
- Using racial slurs should be illegal
- Americans have a constitutional right to healthcare
- Students should be allowed to pray freely in school
- Life is better/worse than it was 50 years ago
- Public safety is worth more than individual privacy
- Single-sex colleges offer better education
- Medical testing on animals needs to stop
- Books should never be banned
- There should be limits to freedom of religion
These are only some suggestions for topic ideas. You’re more than welcome to choose your own topic for a persuasive essay. At the very least, we hope these suggestions have inspired you to come up with some ideas.